Monday, January 30, 2012

EDSS 531 Reflection


Clinical Practice #1 Reflection
What is it like to be a student in my class?
                Although this experience will vary from student to student and from period to period I would like to have my response focus on the average. Most of my students enjoy my class due my passion and energy level in which I celebrated American history. What has the possibility to be a dry subject that consists of lecture and note taking I believe that history should be akin to “story time”. History can be fun, interesting, and relatable and it is my job to exactly that.
My greatest strength can also be a tragic weakness however in regards to energy level and delivery. Early in my student teaching I had a tendency to be overexcited when answering a question and or explaining a topic. I would find myself spewing out a stream of consciousness describing everything before, during, and after whatever point I was trying to make. Once I found, and still improving, a way to slow down my explanations and tighten up my precision more of my students were able to follow along.

What is it like for a student to move through classes in a day at our school?
                It is difficult for me to see the world through the eyes of my former students in this regard. Their high school experience up to the series of events that brought them into continuing education is at time unfathomable considering each of their personal hardships just making it to school that day. That being noted I would imagine most of the students on that campus are happy to be in a safe, stable and structured environment. Most may grumble and grip about having to do work every now and then but they enjoy the overall experience.
                Another interesting insight would be how the students felt about each of their instructors. At my former school the faculty really went out of their way in order to support the students. I would also understand how each of the staff were all unique and interesting individuals in which different students will have their own opinion based on the instructor and or subject material.   

No comments:

Post a Comment