Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Purpose of School

I believe that the purpose of public education is to produce successful and productive members of a democratic society. This is the theory that I carried into my first student teaching experience which was established in the crucible of  my School of Education prerequisites. Throughout the previous year, this theory was applied to both of my clinical practice experiences. It seems fated that my first assignment was a continuation  school but each of my student teaching experiences strengthened my view on what is the purpose of school. However, what the "productive member of society" is and what a "public school" was classified as did significantly change.

I still believe that public school is a right to be given to each citizen but the parameters of these things can be utilized differently. My focus of these issues will be the public high school and the question of where the students are expected to be at the conclusion of study. I originally believed that every high school student was expected to enroll in college because it reflected my own experiences as a student and my reflection of the standardized curriculum. With the current model "non academic" oriented students are subjected to the same material that college bound students are receiving. Although I believe that this material should be given and offered to all students for the sake of equity, there should be alternative studies and or ROP/trade school offered as well. In the various conversations I have had with other professionals it was seen that this view is similar to the "European model".

In my reflection, some of my students are generally disinterested in some of the subject material offered as part of the standardized "college" curriculum. On the other hand, my current school site offers an expanded program for ROP Criminal Justice, Heath Academy (students get hands on medical training in high school!!), and MCJROTC to name a few and therefore the students are given more choices in their education. With these expanded choices there can be more motivation to succeed. Why not expand these options further?

I am aware that this means a significant overhaul in a educational systems that is gasping for breath in economic hardship but everything starts somewhere.    

No comments:

Post a Comment