Monday, March 5, 2012

Personal Academics and Standardized Testing

Its been a tough semester so far and it seems that in an odd way my education is reflecting the educational system as a whole. It can be said that my education can be classified into four very distinct areas which are high school and undergrad, teaching prerequisites, single subject semester one, and single subject semester two. The overall trend that i have seen is increasing difficulty and increasingly high stakes. It just occurred that the public education system can be seen in the same light in regards to how it has been rquired to change adjust and see itself in a new light as well.

For the most part, my undergraduate experience was very similar to my high school experience. There were easy classes and hard classes but overall there was little actual work to be completed outside of the classroom. In both cases I would do any and all major assignments at the last minute in effort to obtain a decent grade but would spend little time studying and or doing weekly homework, unless it was vital to class. I did not realize the value of all the experiences that i was throwing away. I believed that what worked then (high school) will work now (undergrad). I think that can be compared to pre-NCLB education. The practices were not prefect, the dropout rate never was reduced, and there was a constant overlook of many subgroups of students. There was little change over a significant period of time.  

My first semester at CSUSM, when i was taking the prerequisites in order to actually apply for the credential program, was the first time in which I took my education seriously in regards to homework, studying, projects and so forth. I had a purpose for my education and started to do more than was the minimum and what had worked (well enough anyway) in the past. I was not able to break old habits though, for example, during that period I took the CBEST and CSET tests so that i could meet application requirements but i still found myself not really studying for either. That period of my life can be seen being similar to the early phase of NCLB whereas in California the CAHSEE was first administered. That was a period of change and adjustment where education was starting to go through significant alterations but was still in the early stages.

The first half of my credential education was a period of significant stress and a lot of hard work. My Fall 11 grades were the highest grades that i have ever received. There were many assignments and projects due and i was able to really change my practices as a student and a future educator. I was far from perfect but I took all of my assignments and readings seriously. For the first time I took out student loans and have placed myself in debt in order to pay for school, not to mention quit my job. Risk is required in order to achieve great rewards. Although I have fared better than the education system, that period of my education can be compared to the application of high stakes testing. Schools are now under the scrutiny of the standardized tests and major problems are now rising to the surface.

The second half of my credential eduction is now underway and things are getting tougher. While trying to adjust to a new model of online classes and other various fairly new practices, I have fallen behind in my assignments and feel like I have taken a step backwards. This will not decide my fate however, after surviving some major hurtles (Two group projects and a TPA) I can get back to business a start repairing this semester's grades. This will hopefully be the future of the educational system in regards to discovering "all will not be well in 2014" but nothing is final. NCLB is far from perfect but it did bring to life systemic flaws in or education system. The first couple years of standardized testing has not gone as well as we hoped but there will be new generalized standards that will be implemented and the hope that we can repair the education process and policies.

As a future educator and a student I must apply myself in being a life long learner in which I must be able to change and flex in order to be successful. Our system of public education must be the same. What may have worked well enough in the past will not be good enough in the future.    

No comments:

Post a Comment